The Junior League of San Diego’s annual awareness rally focuses on human trafficking on a local level and how we can recognize the signs of those currently held captive. The main purpose of this event is to listen together, walk together, and raise awareness about human trafficking in San Diego.
This year’s speakers include:
- Congresswoman Susan Davis, California’s 53rd Congressional District
- Assemblymember Brian Maienschein, California’s 77th State Assembly District
- Council President Pro Tem Barbara Bry, City of San Diego, District 1
- Summer Stephan, District Attorney, San Diego County
- Mara Elliott, San Diego City Attorney
- Bettina Hausmann, Representative to United Nations Economic and Social Council
- Bianca Morales – Egan, Program Manager, Human Trafficking Prevention, PCI
- Ginger Shaw, Executive Director, California Against Slavery, Vice Chair, San Diego Human Trafficking – CSEC Advisory Council
- Jaimee Johnson, Founder of Sisters of the Streets
- Susan Munsey, Founder of Generate Hope
Human trafficking is a serious crime, a violation of human rights, and represents an economic cost of 800 million dollars in San Diego each year. Thousands of men, women, and children are affected by this crime annually. Knowing what it is, the signs, and what to do if you become aware of it is important for the safety of our society. Legislators and those “in the trenches” will speak at our rally so we may get a glimpse of recent findings from local studies measuring the extent and nature of involvement in sex and labor trafficking in San Diego. We will discover how local companies can ensure there is no association with human trafficking in their operations or supply chains and how they can support trafficking-free labor. JLSD strives to give the community information about how to “Know the Signs” of both sex and labor trafficking.
Community Partners’ Wish Lists
Our community partners kindly request that specific donation items be brought to this rally and dropped off at their respective tables. Please view their wish lists here.