A collaborative conference focused on addressing some of the most pressing challenges facing the Transition-Age Foster Youth (TAY) population in San Diego. From its inception in 2015, our Solutions Summit conference brings together attendees from over 40 organizations for discussion and active problem-solving surrounding challenges faced by community leaders working with this population.
The outcomes of the Junior League of San Diego’s Solutions Summit provide roadmaps and a collective way to move forward in key areas affecting the success of TAY. Members of the Junior League of San Diego work with community partners to continue the important work through the TAY Task Forces Committee, which focuses solely on advancing these roadmaps and building from the momentum of active problem-solving at the Summits. It’s not just a one day event! With the continued participation of Solution Summit attendees, these roadmaps will be further developed, assessed, and implemented in phases over an appropriate timeline.
Solutions Summit 2019 will take place on September 12th, 2019 at Marina Village Conference Center from 8:30am – 3:30 pm.
San Diego, CA 92109
The theme for this year’s event is “What’s Next?” and attendees will work together to focus on the specific challenges that youth face once they separate from the foster care system. There will be three topic areas to choose from:
Solutions Summit Conference Reports
Previous TAY Task Forces
Members of the Junior League of San Diego’s TAY Task Forces Committee collaborate and communicate with the prior years’ Solutions Summit teams to facilitate ongoing discussion, planning, and implementation of the roadmaps developed to address specific challenges facing the TAY population.
Each Task Force consists of Junior League members and community partner representatives. The objective is for the Task Forces to provide ongoing support to past conference attendees and community partners in executing sustainable projects generated at Solutions Summit. The focus for each Task Force is to advance the collaborative roadmap and to carry the momentum of active problem-solving from the Summit forward.
Previous Task Force Projects
- The Mobile Health and Wellness Task Force – held pop-up health events to bring general medical, dental, vision, behavioral health, and wellness services to TAY in areas of the county they need access the most.
- The Homelessness Collaboration Task Force – and opportunity to contribute to the San Diego County Unaccompanied Minors Task Force and participate in discussions focused on solutions for homeless youth. The Standardized Support Services Task Force – worked with the College Advisory Council to develop ideas for standardizing the support services TAY receive at all 2 and 4-year colleges in San Diego. Men’s Mental Health and Resiliency Task Forces – creation of
- Journeyman of San Diego,a group to inspire men and boys to reach their full potential through healing opportunities and leadership. Also establishment of an annual resource fair/wellness event titled “Brand of Brothers” where young men meet with potential employers, “shop” for suits and interview clothing, receive haircuts, get legal advice, and enjoy a supportive and encouraging environment.
- The Pregnancy Prevention Task Force – assisted community partners in developing sexual health training & education for both TAY and care providers to empower TAY to make informed decisions about their sexual health and educate care providers on how to talk to TAY about their sexual health.
- The Financial Literacy Task Force – assisted community partners with planning Be the Bo$$ Challenge, a program (which includes a standardized curriculum, mentor program, and incentives) that will give youth power and ownership of their own finances, encourage them to stay out of debt/come out of debt, and help them implement practical methods for creating a personal “nest egg.”
- The Work Experience Task Force – worked with community partners to plan Career Con, an event that connected foster youth with existing resources via direct exposure to career professionals and interactive workshops within a one-day event.